Holden Caulfield once said, “It was very ironical. It really was.” Now, I don’t know that ironical is actually a term, but I do know exactly what he’s talking about. Goodness. Holden Caulfield…that kid just kills me.
Anyway. I’m about to finish my first year of teaching. Let’s be honest, there aren’t enough blogs in the world that can completely capture this year. You’ll have to wait for my first book, The Life and Times of LeMaster-Blaster.
As I reflect on my time as an English teacher, I often think
to myself, “my life is so ironic.” If you saw me in high school, you would have
thought, “There’s Dayna LeMasters. I bet she studies a lot.”
I wasn’t into pep rallies.
I didn’t like football games.
I had no desire to go to prom.
I literally would have preferred to rip my hair out rather
than dress up for spirit week.
Ugh…yearbooks. Gag me with a spoon.
Ugh…graduation. So many things I would have rather done that
day.
And so. You will agree that my life is totally ironical.
I sit through hour -long pep assemblies, where I cheer and I
scream like a high school senior. I would like to mention that the music has
not changed since 2005.
I go to the football games and make sure to rock out my Kennedy
High School T-shirt on game days.
I actually went to prom. Like I went. Like I had to stand
there and watch kids get their groove on. I would like to mention that the
music has not changed since 2005. I would also like to mention that I do not
regret not going to my prom.
Yes I do get my spirit week on. Crazy Sock Day rocked my
world. I totally looked like Meryl Streep from “Out of Africa” during Safari
Day. Neon Day? Forget about it. I looked like a prisoner in my bright orange
jacket, but I loved it!
That’s right. I’ve been asked to sign yearbooks. I can
officially say that entries have not changed since 2005. I can also say that I
find myself still at a loss for words…I did refrain from writing “Having a kick
ass summer.” Aren’t you proud?
And yes. I will be sitting through graduation. Graduation. I
will wear the black robe. I will pat kids on the back. I will be thinking, “When
will this be over?” I will be thinking, “Oh. My. Gosh. They are still playing
Garth Brooks’ The River and Green Day’s Good Riddance (Time of Your Life).” God
help me.
I have and will love every minute of it. Why? Because I get
to go to work everyday and have fun. I get to see kids learn. I get to talk
about books. I get to dress up like Holden Caulfield and talk about phonies. I
get to teach!
Note: Yes. I’m aware that I may appear to be Ms. Frizzle
from The Magic School Bus.

No comments:
Post a Comment